A Study Visa For Thailand

It is becoming increasingly hard to obtain a long term visa to travel in Thailand. Previously it was fairly straight forward to obtain a Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visa that allowed multiple entries to the country over a year, with the holder required to go outside of the country every three months. This visa is still available but with new requirements for its issue, including owning a condominium in Thailand or being married to a Thai national. Other options available are the tourist visa and the study visa. Tourist visa requirements differ between countries, but generally only offer a maximum of 6 months with a 90-day multiple re-entry rule. If you arrive in the country without a visa you will generally only be allowed to stay for 30 days (check on the specific rules for your country of origin).

The study visa, however, presents a great option for those looking to travel extensively in Thailand and the surrounding region for an extended period of time. A study visa can be obtained to learn to speak Thai and to undertake a TEFL course in Thailand. It can also be used to attend university, although different rules will apply, primarily the amount of study you need to commit to. Study visas do not require the holder to leave the country, only to sign in at a designated destination every 90 days. There is a fee of 1,900 Baht for each sign in.

Getting a study visa for Thailand avoids any worry of having to leave the country before your 90 days is up, which as many people find out every year, incurs a fee of 500 Baht for each day you overstay, and, depending on the circumstances, can warrant legal action.

A study visa, or non-immigrant ED visa as it is often referred to, is obtained by confirming a place at a particular language school or TEFL course school. You will need to fill out forms in your country of origin and provide your regional Thai embassy with your passport to be stamped, a fee, and honest details of your intentions. Many TEFL course schools pay the study visa fee for you as part of the course package, which could save you up to 5,000 Baht.加拿大留學 

A non-immigrant ED visa means you can study, but remember, it’s not a teaching visa and it does not permit working in Thailand in any way, shape or form. The non-immigrant ED visa requires you to prove you are studying, and should not be considered an easy pathway to a long lazy holiday. Once you stop studying your study visa will expire and you will only be permitted to remain in the country for as long as a standard tourist before being required to leave – usually 30 days depending on your country of origin.

Studying a TEFL course in Thailand is a great pathway into teaching and a long-term stay in the country without the need to leave every 90-days or sign in at a designated government office. Once you have your TEFL qualification you can teach with the issue of a work permit. For those studying the Thai language, you will be required to leave the country when your year’s study visa expires, unless of course you sign up for a TEFL course, which in most cases still requires you to return to your home country first.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *